Thursday, September 22, 2011

Sustainable innovation inspired by nature


The importance of the study of history has furthered my thinking on the importance of many subjects in their relation to design. Besides history, what about economy, culture, and science and how do those outside subject relate back into architecture? The idea of studying history of architectural design relates directly to architecture students and professionals. But what has been done to link the idea of science and architecture? Is the importance of knowing and understanding science going to cross paths with architects and design? In my initial scans of topics and question I have found ideas of this that have not been talked about in school. There are many things outside my major about science that affect design in my major.  If am going to try and solve issues of sustainability and figure out solutions to modern problems, there are huge possibilities when you welcome "a biologist to the design table" in an architectural firm. Architecture is not only about design and forms of spaces, but the idea that different professional expertise can and will help to design and shape our architecture. This idea relates to every design. A designer takes the demands and wants from a client and produces a building off of what they have in mind. My theory is that if you take the expertise of someone out of a science major, and design around what they know, you will still be able to produce a design but will have a greater impact as two worlds come together.
                  I find that in all my topics of interest that orbit this idea of sustainability, the most important and interesting thought I have on the subject is the most focused idea of bio-mimicry. This is going to be my primary focus of my ideas that lead directly from the first broad idea of sustainable communities. I find it is the first step in solving the issue. All the subjects are important but the first step one can go through in solving the overall subject of sustainability is to start with the micro scale of the idea and investigate the fully broken down underlying ideas.



No comments:

Post a Comment